My guest today is a guy named “Jon.” He wouldn’t tell me his last name or where he’s located.
Jon isn’t a mysterious figure I met on an underground Telegram pump-and-dump group or a darknet market operator.
To the contrary, he’s the COO of one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges in the world: ShapeShift.io.
Over time, ShapeShift is becoming somewhat of a crypto conglomerate. They recently purchased Hardware wallet maker KeepKey. They also run the pricing website CoinCap and the do-it-yourself index fund creation tool, Prism (currently in private beta).
In this episode, I wanted to speak with the person in charge of end-to-end operations at ShapeShift. This conversation yields an inside look at one of the cryosphere’s most influential companies.
- The thesis that ties together ShapeShift’s products, brands, and websites.
- How ShapeShift is similar to decentralized exchanges, and how it’s different.
- ShapeShift’s product for creating your own crypto hedge fund, called Prism.
- The mechanics of how Prism works, and how Prism creates Ethereum-based smart contracts.
- What ShapeShift’s organizational structure looks like.
- Why people who run exchanges tend to stay out of the public eye.
- ShapeShift’s relationship with other exchange operators
- How running a non-custodial exchange differs from running a custodial exchange.
- Why cryptocurrency exchanges get a bad rap.
Links Relevant To This Episode:
- Erik Voorhees
- Ledger Nano S
- Radar Relay
Clay Collins: My guest today is a guy named John. He wouldn’t tell me his last name. He also wouldn’t tell me where he’s located. This might sound like the intro that I would give to a mysterious figure that I met in an underground telegram pump and dump group, or it also might sound like someone who runs a darknet market, but the truth is actually quite different. John is actually the COO of one of the largest exchanges in the world, ShapeShift, and all the stuff he wouldn’t tell me that’s for security reasons. Read more… about [Podcast] ShapeShift’s Anonymous COO on Operating One Of Crypto’s Largest Exchanges (Episode 9)